Friday, July 10, 2009

Things to Learn Through Windows, Day 2


The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Pane
Or, James Brown's "Get Up Offa That Thing"

Here's my question for you: why are we so backwards? I mean, here I sit in this blindingly blue breakfast nook (say THAT five times fast) with trumpet vine splayling wildly about our backyard, enormous pecan trees soaking up some rays, and cicadas rockin' out to their own vibrating tunes. But that's all out there. My computer backdrop switches from the Maldives to Peru to British Columbia, and I stare at the computer screen thinking "Oh, my God and Creator, I will never understand how great Your works are." And yet.

Just outside lies this whole vibrant world of saturated greens and the smells of summer. Right through that window the gnomes are scuttling across the yard to escape the heat and I've contented myself (as I know you have too) with this two-dimensional world of beauty sitting in front of me.

Get outside. Find a new smell. Living life staring through windows will get you nowhere but your own head, and you're always there anyway.

As for me, I'm going to go splash around like the seven year old I am at heart in the neighborhood pool. Gnomes are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment